Always dreamed of being on camera? Or maybe you realize your business will grow even more if you had a larger video presence?
Well, now is the time. We are going through a media earthquake. Here’s why.
Technology is readily available for consumers. Smart phones and pads, along with car radios, can deliver the shows and segments we want at whatever time we want it.
Technology is also readily available for video producers. We all have the ability to shoot, edit, produce, distribute, and market our own video content to be seen around the world on millions of devices.
Audience Takes Control
Media business is changing thanks to cable cord cutting. Less expensive streaming services and other free services are draining revenues from traditional media companies. Control is now in the hands of the media consumer which is millions of us. They can finally pay directly for only what they want to watch (not 500 bundled channels they’ll never watch) or pay nothing and endure sponsor ads.
The Hollywood strikes could change the media landscape for a long time. The Hollywood writers union is currently on strike. The actors union is now threatening. Look at the list of shows on traditional television and streaming that are either being delayed or canceled for the upcoming fall television season.
Sports World Upheaval
Sports could be going through a major upheaval. Look at the regional sports networks (RSNs) that are going bankrupt and are unable to pay the license fees to many MLB, NHL, NBA teams. Jobs are being cut and there’s a good chance some of the high-priced athletes will not see those lucrative contracts anymore.
ESPN is laying off some of their big-name on-camera talent. The Disney corporation, which owns ESPN, must drastically cut back on expenses due to dwindling revenues from cable TV as people move to cheaper and easier viewer services.
So where are the opportunities? They’re all over.
- Social Media is still strong. Yes, there is disinformation and bullying. But companies and influencers are reaching thousands and sometimes millions of viewers.
- Streaming Platforms are all over the web — and not just for Hollywood shows. Take a look at our Wingding TV Channel that is free and loaded with sports, entertainment, lifestyle, and business shows.
- Local TV stations will need programming — especially those connected to the major networks, ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox. Those networks will not have any programming this fall or they will air re-runs. What local station will continue to pay a license fee to a network for shows that are old? So, we think, local TV stations are going to make adjustments by creating local programming. Remember, over the past two decades, local TV news stations have cut a large number of staff. As a result, to address this new problem, they may turn to the audience to produce local content.
But what kind of content?
The easiest answer is: the content you have knowledge or expertise in.
- Local sports such as kids’ leagues
- Bars and Pubs
- Government: cover your town or city council on issues important to you and your neighbors.
Better yet, how about videos on your business: create your own TV show, or a series of segments:
- What you do
- Why you do what you do
- Profile your customers and how great they are, and how you help them.
Do you have the ability to do this yourself?
In the next blog, I will help you get more comfortable in front of the camera.
At the bottom of this blog, check out the video from Undercover Jetsetter on the tips to create great iPhone video.
But if you need a company to make this happen for you, then check us out at Winding TV or download our free app.
We provide you with video production, TV distribution, social media marketing, and digital marketing that can reach thousands, possibly millions of your customers.
You can also email us at email@example.com or call us at our office in Loris, South Carolina, near Myrtle Beach at 845-272-1901.
John Daly and Susan Anzalone are the Co-Creators and Co-Hosts of Undercover Jetsetter, a show on travel, food, wine, mixology and, of course, golf. They show you how to jet set the world and at home. They also co-authored the book, The TV Studio In Your Hand: How to Shoot, Edit & Deliver the Easy Way on Your iPhone. Join them for tips and hacks on the road, at home, or in the kitchen. Yes, as you will see, all on the iPhone.