Trust us! Malaysia needs to be a on your list of Incredible Places To Experience.
And that’s no Monkey Business. Although you will meet some monkeys and get a chance to feed them.
We’ve spent a fair amount of time in Malaysia, as you will see in our segments and photos below.
Before you dive into our virtual tours of Malaysia, let’s prep you for a journey you should experience at least once in your lifetime.
This enchanting hidden gem is nestled in Southeast Asia. Its vibrant culture, breathtaking landscapes, and unmatched hospitality offer an unforgettable travel experience for Americans seeking a unique and enriching getaway.
7 Reasons To Indulge in Malaysia
In addition to all we will show you here, there is so much more. So, let’s give you seven compelling reasons why Malaysia should be at the top of your travel bucket list.
- Melting Pot of Cultures: Malaysia’s rich cultural diversity is a testament to its fascinating history and unique blend of influences. From bustling city streets adorned with towering skyscrapers in Kuala Lumpur to the charming colonial architecture of Penang, Malaysia offers a kaleidoscope of cultures. Explore the vibrant street markets, indulge in mouthwatering cuisine influenced by Malay, Chinese, and Indian flavors, and witness the harmonious coexistence of different religions, languages, and traditions.
- Natural Wonders Galore: Nature enthusiasts will find themselves in paradise in Malaysia, a country blessed with an array of breathtaking landscapes. Embark on an adventure to the lush rainforests of Taman Negara, one of the oldest rainforests in the world, to witness exotic flora and fauna, including the elusive Malayan tiger and the endangered orangutans. For beach lovers, dive into the crystal-clear waters of Langkawi or sip cocktails on the pristine shores of the Perhentian Islands, surrounded by vibrant coral reefs and marine life.
- Unforgettable Wildlife Encounters: Malaysia’s rich biodiversity extends beyond its rainforests and marine ecosystems. Head to Borneo, home to the world-famous Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre, where you can witness these gentle creatures up close as they swing from tree to tree. Experience the thrill of spotting proboscis monkeys, pygmy elephants, and the endangered Sumatran rhinoceros on an unforgettable jungle safari in the Danum Valley Conservation Area.
- Urban Marvels: Seeking a cosmopolitan experience? Malaysia’s vibrant cities offer a perfect blend of modernity and tradition. Kuala Lumpur, the capital city, boasts iconic landmarks such as the Petronas Twin Towers, a symbol of the nation’s progress. Explore the bustling streets of Chinatown and Little India, where you can immerse yourself in local customs, sample delectable street food, and indulge in a shopping spree at vibrant night markets. And try Penang that is a beacon of medical tourism while being Malaysia’s Culinary Capitol.
- Warm Hospitality: Malaysia is renowned for its warm and welcoming locals, who are eager to share their culture and traditions with visitors. It’s no surprise that we have made life-long friends who are Malaysian natives.
- Affordable Luxury: Experience the genuine hospitality at luxurious resorts and boutique hotels, which offer world-class amenities at affordable rates. Whether you wish to relax in a floating villa in the heart of the rainforest or enjoy a beachfront retreat, Malaysia offers an array of accommodation options to suit every traveler’s taste and budget.
- Relocation: If you are thinking about becoming an ex-pat, then Malaysia is a great place to put on your list of possibilities. The beauty of Malaysia only makes sense. And the beauty and diversity of the people tie into the same American goal. But, according to most reports, Malaysia is more affordable than most places in the US. If you are into exploring Asia, then Malaysia is the perfect spot to hit other locales like Japan, India, and Australia. Another huge reason is the medical care that is cutting edge and very affordable. Penang, Malaysia is the medical tourism hub for Asia, as you will see in our last video here.
Best Time to Visit
It depends on what you want to do.
- Which Region: Where you want to explore will be a deciding factor as the country experiences a tropical climate throughout the year. Overall, the best time to visit Malaysia is generally during the dry season between March and October, avoiding the monsoon seasons. However, there are a few other factors to consider when deciding on the ideal time for your visit.
- Weather: Malaysia experiences two monsoon seasons, which can affect travel plans. The southwest monsoon occurs from May to September, bringing heavy rainfall to the west coast, including popular destinations like Kuala Lumpur and Penang. The northeast monsoon, from November to March, affects the east coast, including beautiful islands like Perhentian and Redang. To avoid the monsoon seasons, it is recommended to visit Malaysia between March and October when the weather is generally drier and more pleasant.
- Festivals and Events: If you wish to immerse yourself in Malaysia’s vibrant cultural celebrations, plan your visit during major festivals. The Chinese New Year, usually in January or February, and the Hari Raya Aidilfitri, following the end of Ramadan, are celebrated with great enthusiasm nationwide. The Thaipusam festival, held in January or February, is a unique Hindu festival that attracts thousands of devotees to the Batu Caves near Kuala Lumpur. These festive periods offer a glimpse into Malaysia’s rich cultural heritage and are a fantastic time to experience the country’s traditions.
- Crowd Levels: Consider the level of tourist activity during your desired travel period. Popular tourist destinations in Malaysia can get crowded during school holidays and peak travel seasons. If you prefer a more peaceful and relaxed experience, it may be best to avoid these periods. However, do keep in mind that some attractions and accommodations may have limited availability during off-peak seasons.
- Outdoor Activities: If you plan to engage in outdoor activities such as jungle trekking, diving, or exploring national parks, it’s crucial to choose a time when conditions are most favorable. Consider the weather patterns and research the specific activities you wish to undertake to ensure the best experience. For instance, the dry season between March and October is ideal for outdoor adventures in Borneo’s rainforests or exploring the beautiful islands on the west coast.
We have 6 videos for you here. First is our intro to Malaysia top of the hotel in Kuala Lumpur and we explain more reasons to go.
Next, we explore local Malaysia and we have some fun with the Monkees and Inspector Clouseau from the pink Panther.
Next, we dive into more off the beaten path in Malaysia..
Then, we make sure you get the big city experience in Kuala Lumpur. Even if you’re not a city person, you will love KL.
Next, in one of our more hilarious videos, we go where the locals go. That includes having your feet cleaned by fish. You will laugh your ass off with us.
And then, finally, we take you to the city of Penang, which is Malaysia’s culinary capital, giving you great restaurants but also incredible street food. Penang could also be a reason you move to Malaysia. It the capital of Medical Tourism in Asia, offering cutting edge and affordable care. Oh yeah, and butterflies! Watch.
John Daly and Susan Anzalone are the Co-Creators and Co-Hosts of Undercover Jetsetter, a show on travel, food, wine, mixology and, of course, golf. They show you how to jet set the world and at home. They also co-authored the book, The TV Studio In Your Hand: How to Shoot, Edit & Deliver the Easy Way on Your iPhone. Join them for tips and hacks on the road, at home, or in the kitchen. Yes, as you will see, all on the iPhone.